As a kid, do you remember wanting a toy or game everyone had, but your parents said no? Then when you got your allowance from chores or celebrations, you would tuck that money somewhere “safe” to hopefully be able to buy that item. I’m sure we all have, and can pinpoint a toy we loved and prayed we got. Well, wouldn’t it have been easier to have joined with a youth membership at a credit union? It is so incredibly easy for children to become part of a credit union, and is highly recommended to start saving this way, rather than taking their money and tucking it away somewhere. Not only is it fun for children to take “charge” of transferring their money into their own account, but watching their credit union account number increase can be very exciting.
Here are some prime examples of how a youth membership with a credit union will positively impact a child’s financial thought process:
- Not only is it the easiest membership anyone can receive, but starting the youth off early at a credit union will help in many ways.
- They will learn how to properly save.
- When receiving change they will become excited to take the money into the credit union to transfer into their account.
- #financialplanning will be taught by seeing their account money grow.
- It will teach them confidence in going into the CU to talk to a teller or any CU representative about their account.
- It will make them feel as if they are part of the #CUfamily.
- Learning how to potentially stay on budget from an early age will be an excellent example and learning engagement for their futures.
- They can be involved in any credit union activities.
Learning how to properly save from an early age is so incredibly important. Being able to learn how and when to spend your money will create a balance of wants and needs when purchasing items. We all have at one time in our lives felt guilty in buying an item or items, but that is part of growing up and learning from your mistakes. Furthermore, being able to understand how important it is to save and prosper by every penny you have in your CU account shows growth and determination in saving for a greater future.
It may be daunting for young ones to sign so many documents as they sign up for a new credit union account, but nowadays with easy forms available it is not as overwhelming during the membership process.
Going to a conference helps to loosen any nerves credit unions may have about reaching young ones in the industry, and strengthening the network connection everyone must have to succeed. With many seminars and workshops happening, one that comes to mind is CUNA’s National Young Professionals Conference, which took place June 13-14. This conference helped elaborate on what it takes to become successful within the industry, and how to explore any type of leadership strategies you may wish to learn more about. The great thing about being part of the credit union industry is that many credit unions have the will to help those who want to make a #CUdifference. No matter the challenge, credit unions are always there for their members and community. Experiencing how to be part of a credit union and learning developmental leadership skills is very beneficial and it is something we can always use and pass on to any future credit union employee or credit union member.
#creditunionblogs #oaktreeforms #pdfforms